Sunday, March 16, 2014

I Had a Good Reason

for not writing for nearly a year.  A week after I last wrote something here, my husband and I started talking seriously about doing something really, really big.  There was so much to talk about and consider, and at the same time I was homeschooling three kids with a baby on my hip (constantly) and trying to keep up with our fun but very high-maintenance house and land.  So every night I fell into bed exhausted physically and even more so mentally, and so now here I am, nearly a year later, finally ready to say hi and reveal what we've been up to!  (Thank you to those of you who've left comments or emailed to check on me!)

In a nutshell, after much prayer and many, many months of taking long walks together down our beautiful country lanes talking it over, my husband and I decided to take a gigantic leap of faith:  Pace gave up his position at our church, so that we could move to North Idaho to start a church on our own.  We'd been at our church and in Texas over 15 years; all my friends and most of my closest family lived there, and Pace was in a very good, very secure position.  It was so hard to consider the reality of stepping back from all of that, in order to take on something so fragile and uncertain.  

This is us about when we started considering our big move, April 2013
But he went ahead and stepped down once God tapped him on the shoulder, and then we spent the next several months holding our breath and hoping our house would sell.  In a move only God could orchestrate, the day after New Year's we got three offers at once, and were able to sell for full price--this, after sitting on the market for over 6 months without a second showing!!  I hated to turn loose of our wonderful house, but in reality it had become so much work the last couple years, and with Pace so busy and everything I was juggling, the burden outwore the blessing for me.  I'm so glad, because it was hard enough to tell it goodbye.

We pulled out of Texas in late February, after hugging too many friends and family goodbye, and my poor kids' hearts were absolutely broken.  But we knew this is the path God has been leading us on, and He has soothed sad hearts so much in the last few weeks.  My sister and her family moved to the same town we're in (Coeur d'Alene) three years ago, and they and their friends helped us move in, fed us, invited us over, gave us snow clothes, and some are stepping up to start our church with us.  We miss our Texas relationships, but Facetime and letter-writing weekly have helped some. (Although I can't even express how much I miss my dear Bridget.  I just try to avoid thinking about it for now.)  It has also helped that our first week here, we got about 16 inches of snow! Talk about a fun distraction!  The kids played, sledded, built snow forts, threw snowballs, and spent more time outside in 25 degrees than I could believe.


This is one of the views of our little city--so pretty!!

Now we're settled in mostly, and it is starting to feel like home in a lot of ways.  I still can't get over the fact that I've finally moved back to the mountains, after three decades away, and that pine trees surround us everywhere!  It is beautiful here, and there are these little coffee drive-thru stands on nearly every major corner, and when the sun shines I think I've moved to paradise!  We had our first vision gathering this week, with the people who've already stood up to help us start, and I am excited to see months (years, really--this has been on Pace's heart for so long) of dreaming and praying and hoping start to materialize.

All that, and my baby is nearly a year and a half old (HOW???) and is so wonderful, and Caiden will become a teenager this summer (HOW???), and our homeschooling continues on, changing as my kids grow but still one of my absolutely favorite things about being the mom.  I grew my hair out long and then cut a bunch off and want to grow it out again.  I turned 38 and can't figure out how my age continues to get older, when I still feel like I'm barely older than a teenager, and Pace turned 40 and doesn't even hide his dismay, which makes me laugh!  Life has changed radically for us in the last year.  It makes me wonder what life will look like in another year, if I wait that long to write again.  I can't imagine!  But God has held us so faithfully these last 11 months, and I'm confident in Him.  He is good, so good.  xxoo

(If you're wanting to keep up with us as a church plant, you can find us on Facebook & Instagram:  One Place Church.  We also have a newly-developed website, www.oneplacechurch.com)

21 comments:

  1. OH MERCY!!! I am so glad you are back sharing your life with us. WOW what a huge step. I will be praying for you as your family takes these huge steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I'm so excited for you guys and what lies ahead! I don't even remember how I found you on Instagram a few weeks ago, but I've loved seeing your pics of mountains and snow. Idaho looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered what had happened to you this year. So glad to hear things are going well for you all in your new endeavor. Both fun and a little scary at the same time, I bet! Hugs and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to see you back here Sarah. I knew a little of what you were doing through your Mom, and I'm so excited for you. Praying God's richest blessings on you as you follow His path for you. And just think - when we're dying in the 98 degree heat, you'll be enjoying the lovely mountain air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excited to get to catch up with you as well in this space and excited for how the Lord is working in your family. What a change from Texas to the North!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So much has changed. How exciting!!! So glad to read an update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to see you're back and how God is moving in your lives. I've been reading your blog since early 2006, and kept checking in here from time to time to see if you had updated. Blessings on your family in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, how very exciting that the Lord is calling your family in this way, and that you'll get to experience an entirely different part of the country as part of His plan! And I'm SO relieved to know this is the reason for your absence, since my worse-case-scenario mind had been imagining less positive reasons that you hadn't written in so long. Our family will commit to praying for your family and for One Place Church. And I'm a brand new Instagram user, so I can follow there as well as on Facebook! Blessings to you, and so glad to know that everything is well with you and your crew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you are back with an update. Such an exciting endeavor! Looking forward to hearing how God will be working through you all in the NW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So thrilled to hear the update! I've missed your blogging and checked in every once in a while to see if there were any new pics. :)

    I'm excited for you all in your new ministry. I'll check out the site and will add you to my prayer journal! I have two brother-in-laws leading small churches in Utah. It's a hard field, but God is faithful!

    Hot Texas no more! :) Praying blessing on your family as you settle in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad to read a post from you, I have missed them. A lot! I am so happy for you and your sweet family, will be praying for you guys. Have an amazing spring! Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa, HUGE changes. I have to say (gulp, squirm), it does make me sad somehow. I suppose because all your lovely adventures and moments that have been shared (since I've been reading) have been from TX. For me, TX and Sarah's posts go hand in hand, since way back when Lisa W. first suggested we read your blog. That was eons ago, now. Time marches on. I'll look forward to reading about this new season, and trust that God can and will bless you and bless others through you as your husband, you, and your children minister to the body of Christ in this new and exciting way.
    Blessings,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't know me, but I've read your blog for years. I checked a few weeks ago wanting to see what you were up to. (Really I wanted to reach out to speak to you about homeschooling...I'm thinking of taking the leap this fall with my 4 and 6 yo...using the Charlotte Mason methods.) Anyways, just felt moved to check in again this morning and SO glad I did. Girl. You are speaking my heart about living in the mountains. We've looked at the Smoky and Rocky mtn areas (CO, NM, TN) and my husband just cannot seem to find a job in his industry. So we wait for Him and His provision. But your story gives me hope! So glad to know you're well and following the Lord's calling. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh hurray! Sooooo happy to see you here again, and I get to talk to you all the time, but there's something about writing - you get to see parts of a heart that don't come out in conversation. Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so thankful you guys are okay! There were so many times I kept thinking I needed to hunt down your email address to check on you. It looks like God has been doing some exciting things in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy for you and your beautiful family! All such wonderful news. You all will be in our prayers. I came to your blog long ago, a suggestion from Lisa's site and I've just enjoyed it so much. Since you've shared so much about your life maybe you'd like to know a bit about one of your readers :) We are a Christian home schooling family (daughter 14, sons 13,6,5,3) in Southern California, North of San Diego. I adore Sally Clarkson & Karen Andreola and their websites and books, such wonderful women. We have a small ranch with horses, goats, dogs & a pig. I can relate to many aspects of your life, even down to snake stories :) It really was great to hear how you all are doing. ~ Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. Something made me think of you this morning and I did a search for your blog. Gone are the days of checking Google Reader for updates. Since that went away I haven't kept with all the blogs that I used to read. Yours was one of the very first for me (referred from Lisa Whelchel) and it's been fun watching your family grow. Anyway I searched this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find you had updated it just recently. Now I can keep up with your ministry on FB. What an exciting time for your family. And what a beautiful area! I bet your mom was sad to see you go! Wishing you all the best in your ministry!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been reading your blog for years. I have been greatly blessed by your posts. I will be praying for you and your family. May God use your family to enrich His Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah, thanks for updating us on your big adventures. I've read and commented on your blog for years. I used to sign my comments, "Hugs from Seattle", but our family has been on a big adventure as we've also relocated this past year. Having lived in the Northwest for 25 years, I can relate to what your church website referred to about the spiritual atmosphere/need of that region. You are much needed there, and I know God will bring His abundant LIFE through your family. I also know all about picking up and leaving everything familiar and dear behind (but so happy you have your sister!), so I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cool! So much I wish I could say...I "found" you via Lisa Whelchel many years ago and enjoyed reading you over the years. After the tornado in Jackson, TN, I found we went to the same college (although I was a bit ahead of you) and have a mutual friend (The Wysors)! Now this...I grew up in Boise, Idaho and the Northwest has such a dear place in our hearts. My husband and I are still in TN but have been trying to get out west to be a part of a church plant for almost a year. Obviously the time is not right for us right now because the doors keep closing...but I love hearing this about you guys...even if there is a bit of jealousy involved! We will definitely be keeping up with your journey! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so exciting! I have heard it is beautiful there--a cousin went there a couple of months ago on vacation (she lives in Miami!) and another cousin is a professional triathlete who is racing there tomorrow morning!

    I'm so glad to see you are all well and happy and surely busy....I have loved your blog for years. Have been reading since Addison was a newborn!

    I hope that the church is flourishing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!