Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Three Days to Go . . .

until Christmas, and I felt very on top of it last Friday, when I spent an hour online and did all of my husband's shopping, but then Saturday my parents came in town, and somehow I unravelled. Now it's Tuesday, and I need to:

*wrap all of my family's gifts while watching my favorite old Christmas movies

*shop for Christmas Eve and Christmas meals

*mail packages to extended family--which are destined to be late, as usual

*clean my house, which looks like a tornado hit it inside

*bake cupcakes for the worship team at church to enjoy between services

*go to services and hold sweet babies in the nursery

*and probably something else that I've already forgotten.

So much for feeling on top of it! But unless you're super-efficient (like my mom), you're probably in the same boat as I am, and that seems to make me feel much, much better!

And, if you are as crazy as I am, then you might've also decided to have your kitchen and dining room walls and cabinetry painted the week before Christmas.
(Getting ready to cover the fridge and ovens before spraying--madness!)

My husband thought I was nuts but grudgingly obliged when I promised him stellar results and said he could forsake buying me any gifts if he let me get the job done. (And, happily, he disregarded that and bought me presents anyway. I love that man! And, they turned out SO GREAT! I'll post "After" pictures once my pulls/knobs arrive!!) So this is self-induced insanity, but that seems par for the course around here. Like I've said before here, it's always something . . .

What do you have left to do? Are you super-organized and ready for Christmas, or are you feeling slightly overwhelmed and losing sleep with me? Tell me I'm not alone, somebody!!

14 comments:

  1. I love that you live in insanity like me! Normally I am done shopping before Thanksgiving but this year I finished yesterday and I would rather not talk about the gift I am still making. Oh and forget the wrapping! HE HE! Merry Christmas and enjoy your "new" kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone.........I am usually finished buying and wrapping by the 15th at the latest. Ha this year, braved blinding snow last night to finish shopping and still have to wrap. I think having a toddler again has thrown a wrench in my perfectionism. I still need to get stocking stuffers today, and I am trying to finish knitting a gift for my little one. It was good to read I am not the only struggling with too much this year. Have a great Christmas, and please post a pic of Addie with her knitted doll. I can't wait to start one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely not alone...I also am far behind this year. I was looking forward to this week being off school and able to get things done. Instead I am playing catch-up from 4 days in hospital with my son...On the other hand...thankfully he is home and does not seem to have suffered any lasting effects from his accident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SOOOO not alone! I bought the boys' their gifts but they ARENOT wrapped. DH's gift hasn't even been bought yet. As for anyone else...not bought yet either! Hopefully I can get everything done tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, glory, I have not even started wrapping yet!! I clicked on your blog real quick to see if there would be encouragement or at least some "kindred-spiritedness"--I am so glad we are in the same boat. Except mine does not involve painting kitchen cabinets. Good thing, because I think I would really lose it! I have to go to the grocery store, cook/bake, some cleaning, & major wrapping!! If we lived in the same neighborhood, we could have a wrapping party tonight :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen!! I need to do a little more baking and make some food for Christmas Eve and Christmas!

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. why is it we always want to start major projects before something big like Christmas? i almost pulled out the paint for the kitchen but refrained. i tend to start baking Christmas cookies (that need decorating) right before it's time to eat or decide to finish the gingerbread train right before the in-laws come over for supper. the things we do to ourselves! can't wait to see your kitchen! hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha--I still have about 100 thank you's to write, get the house cleaned, dishes done, laundry has piled high and needs to be done, and I need to do some dusting before I have a baby in a couple of days. Not to mention I think I have some bills to pay ;). Oh yea--I have not wrapped ONE present for my family---yea--I have it all together this year! Yea right! You will get it all finished--you always do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a brave soul, to undertake the painting so close to the holidays. But I totally understand, b/c the results are So Worth It!!! I love painting stuff! (Well, I hated painting my cabinets....but then when they were done I loved it. :))

    I have shocked myself entirely this year by being done ahead of time. I have a few more gifts to wrap, and need to dip some oreo truffles in chocolate (tonight? in the morning? we'll see)--and need to get the guest room squared away for my Dad, but otherwise I'm basically done. Unless there is something major I've forgotten. It's nice--usually I am slammed on Christmas Eve, wrapping and running around like a crazy woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was doing pretty good until you reminded me that I need to feed people on Christmas day! Hmmm, I guess I'll have to brave the grocery store tomorrow! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in the same boat too!
    I was thinking of wrapping the christmas gifts "bag" style this year. You know, the white bags you find in the kitchen and the black bags in the garage. Maybe I'll add a bow too...nah. ha!
    Merry Christmas!!

    I just love when you do a design change! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. total insanity here! Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is your super-efficient Mom, it's 30 minutes into Christmas and I just got done wrapping Dad's stocking gifts - we have to be at Les and Jers in eight hours and the apt looks like a Christmas bomb went off, which isn't so bad when you think about it. Hope you guys have a great Christmas day! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh... the insanity of that kitchen re-do at Christmas!! Looking forward to seeing the results. I've been a bit out of focus and insane lately too. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, we have totally re-done the floors and painted the inside of the house we are moving to. (and trying to keep up with the homeschooling along the way... ) [insert screaming maniac here] not to mention it is a 3 hour round trip from where we live to there and back!! Christmas gifts?? well... we did finish wrapping before midnight on the Eve.;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!